Thursday, July 30, 2009

Education + Inspiration = Success

This is the first day of the rest of my life.... Cliché? Possibly. But more importantly, truth. I have been inspired many times throughout my life but have failed to take action. Today marks D-Day. Action begins now. I take control of the wheel. Take the bull by the horns. Whatever you want to call it, today I follow my heart. My soul will be silent no more.
I want to create a space to follow my journeys throughout this process from beginning to..... Beginning. This is my dream on so many levels. I can only hope that I can inspire someone to pursue what they feel in their soul as I grow from infancy to maturity during this process.
I have known I was meant to write for as long as I can remember. However, wrangling all my emotions, thoughts and ideas has not been an easy feat. I have gone through many various stages aspiring to be a journalist, novelist, teacher, as well as many many other scattered ideas. A few years back I really began diving deep into my heart.
I started asking all the questions we all ask. "What is the meaning of life?" "What do I believe spiritually?" "What defines peace and happiness?" Over the years I have found peace in my beliefs. I have been enlightened through knowledge and experience. I feel a deep burning in my soul and it is time to reach out.
My story is not heroic, nor is it a tragedy. I am the average "Jane" just trying to make ends meet. I am technically a single mom, although it would not be right for me not to mention the wonderful support I receive from my daughter's dad. My son's dad has chosen not to be involved in our (his) life right now. But things are as they should be.
I never completed my bachelor’s degree and although I have a certificate for my associates, it has served me little purpose other than lip service up to this point in my life. This official piece of paper that I am lacking makes me less marketable in the eyes of a potential employer than someone equally or slightly less qualified who has reached that milestone. After all, they hold the coveted paper, or "ticket to the future" and I do not.
This does not mean that I am not an exceptional worker. I have been part of the rat race since I was legally old enough to work. I have held a variety of wonderful and not-so-wonderful jobs ranging from dishwasher to store manager to residential youth counselor and mentor. All of the jobs I have been blessed to have had prepared me in one way or another for this moment. Thank you to my past employers for educating me in your own individual way. I am thankful for the opportunity to have served you.
However, my "professional" life always seems to lead me down the same road. No matter how hard I try to be what "they" want, it is never right. More often than not I am left feeling unsatisfied and ultimately jobless.
Most recently I was fired from a job I have been working at for a year. This was not my dream job, but it paid the bills. And I was good at it. Like the others it started out good, but quickly started falling apart at the seams as I had to leave for various medical reasons concerning my children. No matter how much I tried to make up for it on the back end, I could feel that I was spinning my wheels. It got to the point that I could do nothing right. If I worked through my lunches or from home, I was working too much. If I came in at 9 and left at 5:15 as I was scheduled, but failed to help a co-worker complete his tasks, I was just "going through the motions". If I voiced my thoughts I was complaining. If I put my headphones on and did not interact I was "checking out". It was a no win situation. But I was determined not to roll over for the energy vampires who I worked with. Despite any external conditions I decided that I had control over my attitude and that... would be positive.
Ultimately I received the dreaded call to Human Resources where I was presented with my final check. Ironically I was never given a reason for termination, however in fairness I didn't really wait for one. I was free.
As I packed up my desk with the HR rep watching to make sure I didn't steal any valuables (staples are hot on the black market right now) I couldn't help but notice a very strong feeling of peace come over me. In that moment, I realized that even though the situation was not ideal, this was an absolute opportunity and I could choose to fight it or embrace it. I chose the latter. Undoubtedly I would have stayed at this job for eternity had nothing better come knocking at my door. This job was safe (or so I thought). It brought me steady hours and a steady paycheck. Beyond that it brought me little more. Thank you Overstock, for giving me the visibility of freedom to choose again.
I walked out the front door holding my box of belonging. As I inhaled the new freedom, I felt a very strong sense of intent and calling. However, the reality was that I still had my babies to feed. Instead of jumping on the fear train running frantically to the first job that would take me, I decided to take a more centered approach. This approach involves both reflection and faith. I went to a local temp service and was employed the very next day. This has given me the flexibility to be a little pickier as I wait for the universe to align while still taking care of my obligations.
Through a series of events this past week, I stumbled upon a website about how to make money through blogging. I have never blogged before and my knowledge of blogging is very elementary. However, in this moment, it was as if 1000 angels filled the room and were singing a song specifically composed for me. How perfect would it be if I could combine my life long passion of writing with the ability to support my family all while reaching millions of people at the very affordable cost of the internet which is virtually free? Perfect union.
So, today it begins. I have $39.75 to my name, but I feel so strongly about this I am spending $19 for my domain name and another $5.95 for web hosting. From here, the sky's the limit. It is up to me to seek the education necessary to make this journey a success. And seek I will. I don't expect to "get rich quick" nor is the monetary aspect the thing that drives me. But how wonderful it would be to get to spend the afternoon with my babies at the Zoo while knowing I am making money from inspiring someone to find peace and love in their life and stopping the dozens of calls I receive every day from people who want to be paid.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
I plan to do just that. Starting today.
Love and Light - Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment